When you think about roofing materials, several options may come to mind. Asphalt composition shingles are one of the most popular roofing materials, and for good reason. Purchasing shingles when you need new roofing materials is a good investment that will protect your home from water damage for 20 years or longer, as long as the roofing is cared for and maintained properly.
Here are some of the best reasons to consider asphalt composition shingles when you need new roofing:
- Shingles come in many different colors and styles. They can be combined to create striking patterns and unique designs that can increase your home’s curb appeal and value.
- The price is generally reasonable, though as with many things, you get what you pay for, and it may be worth investing in higher-quality roofing materials up front to increase their lifespan.
- Installation of shingles is generally easy. It is a good idea to remove old shingles and roofing first, prior to installation of new shingles, because you don’t want to have too much weight on your home for the frame, as it may lead to sagging.
- Shingles can be installed on many different homes with different framing and a variety of roof slopes.
- Shingles are fairly wind-resistant and fire-resistant, helping protect your home from damage.
- If your roof if prone to growing mold or fungus, you can get zinc strips installed at the roof peaks to help prevent this growth. There are also algae-resistant shingles available to purchase.
New advances in architectural shingle options have made them even more attractive roofing materials. To see what your options are, contact us at Sentry Construction today.