When it comes to taking care of your home, some items are much easier to determine when they need to be replaced than others. Lightbulbs, for example, make it very obvious when it’s time to get new ones. Other items that generally last for years such as concrete, siding, or your roof are more difficult to determine when an appropriate roof replacement time is. If you’re wondering if now is the time to make the switch from old to new roofing, here are five signs that can help you decide:
- Roofing shingles are cracked — Roofing shingles boast a certain amount of flexibility in order to take on the temperatures and elements. When your roofing shingles start to crack, this can be a sign your roof is aging.
- Shingles are curling up at the edges or bulging in the middle –– Not only do these physical signs of roofing issues give your home an aging look, but left alone these shingles are a sign of dangerous things to come. A curling or bulging shingle leaves areas of weakness for your roof that moisture can sneak through.
- You’re starting to notice bald spots on your shingles –– Asphalt shingles are an incredibly popular choice for roofing materials, and they work very well as long as the shingles keep their integrity. Once you start to see bald spots where granules are missing from large sections or you see a lot of granules in your downspouts, this is roof replacement is in your future.
- Several patches are gone or missing — Anyone who lives in a windy area knows that shingles are not wind-proof! While you can replace and patch missing pieces for quite a while and still keep your roof safe, this only works for so long.
- Your neighbors are replacing their roof –– In areas where many homes were built at the same time, it’s a good idea to take note when your neighbors go through a roof replacement. Since homes built around the same time experience the same weather, if your neighbor is replacing their roof, you should look into replacing yours as well.
If you would like to learn more about roof replacement for your home, please contact Sentry Construction today. We look forward to hearing from you!